892 Umgeni Road, Stamford Hill, Durban, South Africa
In 1925 the architectural firm Ing and Jackson prepared plans for a new factory and was established by a local firm of timber merchants, Hunt Leuchars and Hepburn limited. This is what is now known as the original Durban Lion Match Factory however, much of the new structure was largely rebuilt in 1926/7. The historic factory building is made up of one and three stories and is of the Union period style with rusticated bases, arches and pitched roofs, and once sat in a subtropical garden setting. The exterior envelope is plastered brickwork painted white and is decorated with ornate string cornices and arcuated veranda’s including columns and balustrading. The corners are adorned by plastered quoins and the rusticated pilasters frame the white painted timber casement door and windows. The hipped roof is clad in slate and the steel truss construction enabled large unobstructed floor areas for industrial processes. These spaces were naturally lit by clerestory lighting, which improved the environment for factory workers. Various architects have subsequently worked in and around the park.
Architect(s): Ing & Jackson Architects
Year: 1925-1927
Union Period
Lion Match Factory

More Union Period